Sunday, July 21, 2013

Something Philosophical

I'm gonna post something philosophical now, lol, ready? Something must be said about being able to wash the make up from your face and say, "There I am." I haven't been able to do that in- ever, until now. I avoided wearing makeup because it was depressing to wash off, and feel I was somehow washing away beauty, only to be left with my face, which I was not very satisfied with. I realized though, that this was a cycle. If someone could tell me I look good without makeup, why couldn't I see it? I was desensitized. I needed to stop wearing makeup, to give myself time to get used to the way I look, before I could find myself beautiful. It took years, it was hard; walking around without any makeup on, feeling ugly for the majority of the time, feeling less-than because I wasn't doing something that every other girl I knew did and that society told me I had to do to be beautiful. I still enjoy putting on makeup, I enjoy wearing it, but I couldn't keep going on like that every day; it was awful. When I wore makeup, I felt ugly every night when it came time to wash it off. When I stopped wearing makeup, I was forced to look at what God gave me every day, all day, and it became beautiful, like anything else in the world can if we give it a chance. Today, I put on makeup. Tonight, I postponed washing it off as long as I could, like I always do, because it's the scariest part of wearing makeup. But when I washed it off tonight, instead of feeling like I was washing off beauty, I felt like I was washing away fake. I started to see my face, and remembered who I am underneath and how I love the way I look now. I'm different, I'm unique, I'm who God made me. I thought, "There you are," to myself, "this is the woman I want people to know; this is the woman I want someone to fall in love with one day." This is groundbreaking. To be happy with my own face, fresh, unpainted. I liked the way my makeup looked today, but not as much as I liked seeing my face washed clean. I can honestly say I like my own face without makeup better than with. This is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment